Monday, November 12, 2012

Sunday - Jan 2011

Today Amy and I gave talks in church. We're a good team because she's so good at talking about the doctrine and I tell stories.

We got lots of compliments including this gem, "you two should speak at least once a month. I stayed awake for you guys". That, from a lady who hardly has anything good to say about anything.

Other things were said, too. Someone told me my talk was the best talk in church they've ever heard. One guy said if more talks were like that during general conference then he'd listen to all of them. A couple people with teenagers both said that their kids that normally never listen in church and keep their heads down the whole time had their heads up, listening, and laughing the whole way through. One lady, a professor at BYU said I am now her new favorite teacher and that I am as good at teaching as anyone she's ever heard. She also said that before church she was feeling exceptionally low and prayed that good talks would be given. She thanked both Amy and I and said it was really good timing for her to hear what we had to say. 

Other things were said, too, that made me feel really good about speaking. It was a good experience to speak and I think times like this are a fulfillment of my patriarchal blessing. It says, "You have the ability to be an effective teacher, one able to show and explain gospel principles to others in ways they understand and desire to incorporate these principles into their lives."


So that's some good news, but that's just the warm-up. Listen to this super-fantastic news. Now, before I tell you, I will tell you that at this point, Amy doesn't want to tell anyone. If things turn out as she wants them to, then she'll tell the world. But at this point, we've only told a couple of people and I've been dying to tell you. So don't email anyone about this.

Remember that essay she wrote and it was included in a collection of other women and published a couple years ago? Well, the girl that lined that up called Amy the other day and wanted to know if she would be interested in being one of the people that Deseret Book is interviewing to write Stephanie Nielson's story. Stephanie and Christian have been in negotiations with a few publishers and decided to go with Deseret Book. Stephanie and some other author (Amy?!!!) will write the book together and on Wednesday, Amy is going to Deseret Book to be interviewed. We don't have a lot of info, such as who will decide, what is the criteria, how many other people are being considered, when will we know, why isn't Sheri Dew doing it....on and on. Amy is thrilled, of course. We fasted today, and we have high hopes. We also don't know if already knowing Stephanie will help or hinder her chances. Although I can only imagine that it will help her. Say a prayer for her, will you? This would be just the right project for Amy. She would be perfect for it and she would do such an amazing job. We can hardly think about anything else right now.

Have a great time in Hong Kong!

Justin

You just cannot imagine how this email touched me and of course, thrilled me - so beauitful and exciting, Justin.
 
SO, what exactly were your talks on?  You know, Justin, I think you are such an incredible story teller.  I have an aunt and uncle (my mother's brother, uncle Orrin and sister, Aunt Gerry) who tell such great stories, and I've always been jealous of that ability...some people can just tell stories.  And, you do have that gift from God.  You certainly got some amazing compliments, so when we get home, we want to hear those talks, but now, what was the topic?????
 
 
And, that is just so exciting about Amy and the book...oh, do keep us posted about that.  What a thrill to eve be considered>!>!>!  Yes, I do remember the book that Amy wrote for and remember her essay....no wonder you are not thinking of much else.....
 
We will certainly pray for you and hope it turns out just the way you would like.  BTW, I cannot even being to tlel you how much I loved those pictures you posted.  SOme of those are just so emotionally charged.  It's been fun to see what others pick as their favorites...like the roof and the chairs.  Artistically, I'm sure that's a great photo, but I love the people ones.  There's one of Brett and his wife that just is so beautiful - I love the colors and Brett and his wife; oh it's lovely.  I love the green shoes.  I love the picture of the little girl.  I reallylike the picture of the older man handing his wife a flower; you captured such a great moment and look on her face.  Gheen and beth dancing is just superb.  ANyway, there are definitley some great great photos.
 
Thanks again for the email.  Love, Mom


The topic assigned was Quentin Cook's talk in conference last year in April. So Amy really knocked it out of the park with lots of doctrinal elements. She's like a college professor giving a talk. I'm like a high school kid. But I have a formula. It's this. Entertain them for ten minutes and then with they have their heads back, laughing, you ram it full of the spiritual message you want them to hear.

I told stories you've probably heard before, but here's something I said that got a laugh.

"I love being in this ward. This is the best ward I've ever been in. Now listen, I've been in some real dogs, though, so don't get a big head about that."  

I'm glad you like the pictures on the blog. Thanks.

I tried to record our talks so I could email them to you, but my recorder only recorded the first five minutes of each of our talks. When I saw that, I realized (later, of course) that it was a setting on my recorder. Ah!

Jh

No comments:

Post a Comment